Thought we would take this opportunity to introduce our newest member of the Our Family Escape team, Jorja. She is a 15 month old Golden Labrador and has such a beautiful soul and is so cute. I was extremely fortunate to be given her from Ben and his team at Integra Service Dogs Australia who are a non-profit organisation supporting veterans and emergency service personnel throughout the country with service dogs. Integra have the great opportunity to purchase dogs from Guide Dogs Victoria who have not passed the Guide Dog training for whatever reason. I reached out to Ben on the possibility of some K9 support and within a month, Jorja was chosen for my family and I, and she was put on a plane to meet her new forever family. I have also be so fortunate that Integra will also support the training that Jorja and I require on the Sunshine Coast. This will be done by Kylie at Elite Canines - Kylie Smith and together we will train and assess Jorja for Public Assess and other requirements of a service dog that I need firstly in person and then correspondence when where away.
Canines are a brilliant tool for so many medical conditions and are still so under utilised in this country. Jorga is already changing our lives and I whole heartedly wish to thank Ben and his team from Integra, Guide Dogs Victoria and Kylie Smith.
If you are, or know of a current or former member of the Military or Emergency services that could benefit from canine support give these organizations a call, it really change your life.
We look forward to being on the road for 12 months getting to know Jorja and having her as part of Our Family Escape.
What a sweet town! Camp right in town and dog 🐶 friendly in off peak periods. Camp ground is between river and beach. There is also an entry point just down the road, for those that want to do some beach driving just off Terrace Street (this is also the off leash dog beach area). Camp ground is a short walk to the local @hotelillawong and many cafes, bakers, boutique shops, Chinese and many more. You won't even have to cook if you don't want to 🙊
PLANNING YOUR PET-FRIENDLY HOLIDAY: ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Picking your accommodation, researching fun activities, scoping out the nearby eateries - we all know the anticipation of a holiday is at least half the fun.
But when it comes to taking your pet away with you, the planning stage can get a little more confusing. How do you know what ‘pet-friendly’ accommodation really means? What locations are going to work best for you and your pooch? Will your pet adjust to their new surrounds? ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
It doesn’t have to get complicated when you know what to look out for. That’s why we created this FREE downloadable resource all about pet-friendly trip planning. Get the low-down on: ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Choosing Where To Go - location, location!
- Features Of Pet-Friendly Accommodation - the must-haves
- Reading The Fine Print - know your pet-friendly policy
- Pet-tiquette 101 - how to make your stay complaint-free
- Alleviating Holiday-Induced Pet Anxiety - helping your fur-baby stress less
- BONUS: Being The Purrrrrfect House Guest, Pets In Tow - be the one who gets invited back
DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE GUIDE TODAY (link in bio)
FETCHING FEATURE: @cleburnehomestead
Cleburne Homestead is the perfect base from which to explore Southern Tasmania. Offering luxury bed and breakfast accommodation in authentic 1830’s heritage-listed sandstone buildings, this art hotel sits on four acres of grounds.
Situated only 20-minutes drive away from Hobart Airport or historic Richmond town and 5-minutes from M.O.N.A, you can also take a range of day-trips to the Huon Trail, the Coal River winery or Port Arthur.
Whilst we have been overwhelmingly lucky and fortunate on this adventure around our beautiful country, we have also had our fair share of unexpected breakages 🛠 (kamper struts, diff centre, drone, phone aerial, side mirror, windscreen), injuries 🤕 (both of Kim’s wrists, Rusty’s chin) and more recently - lost belongings (Mitchs iPhone) 📱.... we are all fine and the trip will continue but some advice for anyone planning a similar adventure is to build a very comfortable contingency into your budgets - and then double it.
We had what we thought to be a safe contingency of 5% of our overall budget, but medical expenses have really stacked up. Particularly if your travelling with a dog - vet bills are damn expensive and make sure you add more than you expect for this.
Hopefully this advice helps others planning their big laps. It is all part of the adventure ! 🤟
Happy Wednesday friends 🤗 ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
We have been traveling around North America with our furry companion, Occy, for 7 months now. What you may not know is that Occy was born and raised in Australia and only moved over to Canada with us a year and a half ago . ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
In this weeks video, we share a back story about Occy and the process involved with flying him from Melbourne, Australia to Toronto, Canada! ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
📷 Grand Canyon, Arizona
Link in bio ✌️
As long-time pet-parents ourselves, we know that travelling with pets can be a challenge. Choosing accommodation, settling your pet into a new environment and finding pet-friendly holiday activities takes time and careful preparation. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
The good news? ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
It doesn’t have to be tough when you know exactly what you need to do and why. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
That’s why we’ve put together our FREE ultimate guide to planning your pet-friendly trip. We want to take the hassle out of your holiday and maximise the memories you and your pooch can share.
Download it today via the link in our bio.
¿Te gusta viajar con tu mascota?🐶🐈
Qué considerar al viajar en avión✈️
1. Verifica si la aerolínea admite mascotas y requerimientos durante el vuelo
2. Con antelación verifica documentación requerida en el país a visitar como: pasaporte, historial de vacunas 💉y tratamientos (esto lo puedes verificar con tu veterinario). Algunos países como USA solicita una certificación del veterinario y del Ministerio de Agricultura.
3. Si tu mascota no ha atravesado trayectos largos trata de acostumbrarlo a la valija donde estará viajando garantizando su comodidad y seguridad. Practica en casa por varios días así como también en el auto.🚘
4. Lleva mantas por si a tu mascota le da frío durante el vuelo.❄️
5. Verifica que el destino de preferencia sea pet friendly, ya sea en los restaurantes, transportes, hoteles, centros comerciales, playas y parques. Ciudades como San Francisco, Berlín, Hamburgo, Bruselas, Ginebra, París, Amsterdam y otros admiten en muchos lugares a tu mejor amigo.
¡Ya no hay razón por la cual dejar sola a tu mascota! ❤️❤️❤️————————————————————————Do you like traveling with your pet? 🐶🐈
What to consider when traveling by plane✈️:
1. Check if the airline accepts pets and requirements during the flight
2. In advance check the required documents by the country to visit such as: passport, history of vaccines💉 and treatments (this can be verified with your vet). Some countries like USA require a certification from the vet and from the Ministry of Agriculture.
3. If your pet has not traveled long distances before try to get them familiar to the bag where they will be traveling, guaranteeing their comfort and safety. Practice at home for a couple of days or in the car.
4. Take blankets just in case your pet gets cold during the flight.❄️
5. Verify that the preferred destination is pet friendly, whether in restaurants, transportation, hotels, shopping centers, beaches and parks. Cities like San Francisco, Berlin, Hamburg, Brussels, Geneva, Paris, Amsterdam and others admit your best friend in many places.
There's no reason to leave your pet at home!❤️😍