HEALTHY AF FATS BY @OAKBUILTFITNESS
Unless you've been living under a rock, you know that fats have been unfairly demonized for the past several decades. The truth has been coming out that fats are not only healthy, but incredibly important for our health. That being said, not all fats are created equal. Here are some awesome options with kick ass health benefits.
Grass fed beef is a powerhouse of vitamins and minerals along with protein and tasty fats. It's a great source of omega 3 fatty acids for heart health and saturated fats for testosterone support.
Pastured eggs may be the best food you can put in your body. Nature's multivitamin is packed with vitamins and minerals as well has cell building cholesterol.
MCT oil (medium chain triglyceride) is a fat source that bypasses the liver and get converted directly to energy. It's a great addition to coffees or preworkout drinks.
Grass fed butter is my #1 favorite coffee ingredient to add creaminess as well as a sustained release of caffeine. Packed with heart healthy omega 3s as well as CLA, it's a much better option than sugar laden creamer.
Avocados are a powerful fruit. Full of fiber, healthy fats, and potassium, they're a great option for all kinds of situations. Avocados are possibly one of the most diverse foods, being able to make everything from guac to pies to ice cream with them.
Macadamia nuts are my go to snack when I want something quick. One of the best nuts to eat for testosterone support, these bad boys have a host of healthy fats and health benefits.
What's your favorite healthy fat? Let me know in the comments!
#Paleo Peach 🍑 Ice-cream
As I am here sweating my bumm off in my hot little home 🏡 I am dreaming of this creamy and cold #paleoicecream
I topped mine with cacao nibs *
WHAT YOU GUNNA NEED:
1. 16 oz frozen peaches
2. 1/2 cup coconut milk
3. 3 tablespoons honey , 2 tablespoons maple syrup
4. 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
WHAT YOU GUNNA DO:
1. Combine the frozen peaches, milk, honey, maple syrup, and lemon juice in a blender, and process until creamy 😪 Taste the ice cream, and add more sweetener, if desired.
2. Freeze it for a few hours. Once frozen, you'll need to let the ice cream thaw for 10 minutes and it’s ready to enjoy.
EAT YOUR GREENS 🥦
Got my butt kicked at my workout tonight! Pretty sure my face is still as red as a tomato! 🍅 DO IT 👉🏼 Tonight’s post-workout meal was an egg white, smoked salmon and spinach omelette (with one whole egg). I topped the omelette off with some avocado and a side of steamed broccoli.
Day 7 and down 5lbs!
🍍she believed she could so she did🍍
Sounds great & all but it went a little more like
She wanted to, but doubted herself fully.
She watched everyone else & thought, I wish I could too.
She justified every excuse she told herself.
She thought it would be too hard.
She thought she would fail.
She thought it would be a waste of time. .
Deep down though, she really did believe in herself and one day, she got sick and tired of her own fears.
Tried something new.
Fell in love with building herself up in the comfort of her own home.
She fell in LOVE with food the right way. It became nutrition, not a coping mechanism.
She fell down.
Got back up.
Learned self love.
Ate brownies & pizza & gummy worms.
Enjoyed wine on date night.
Found HERSELF. .
If you think you have to “be perfect” and workout 3 hours a day to reach your goals, I’m here to tell you that’s just not true. Most of my workouts are a half hour long and nothing more and I eat SO much food lol SO much.
The moment I stopped obsessing over my weight and just started focusing on what made me FEEL the happiest & the best, everything changed and the results took care of themselves. I’m here to teach you the same. .
Are you ready to change your health, fitness & happiness? To become the best version of YOU, and feel your absolute best? With balance? LIVING?
Either drop a 😎 below & I’ll get you some more info OR fill out the form in the comments to take out all the guess work 😜
It’s grind time baby!
It's a comparison kind of hump day🍑😉
2015--> 2017--> 2018
Peaches take time to grow. Time is your friend. Use time wisely and it will reward you💪but don't be disheartened when it decides that you need more time than others standing beside you. We are all very different. What takes me 3 years, may take you 4. It's ok. The key is YOUR consistency, YOUR dedication and YOUR desire to succeed. That's all that matters. Time will reward you for that, so KEEP IT UP! #happyhumps#growthatpeach
When you can’t pick just one meal so you order 3, you know, “for the table” 😜 got the sunny side breakfast bowl (subbed the ancient grains for more kale), the avocado tartine on their GF seedy bread and the zoodle pad-Thai (which I’m obsessed with!) @lepainquotidienusa 😋😋😋
I was SO hooked on...
-women who LOVED their career 💕👩🏼💻
-women who wanted to GROW personally 🌱🙋🏼♀️
-women choosing POSITIVITY > complaining 🙌🏼🙅🏼♀️
Today is no different! Those are the main reasons I kept at this business when months were slow.
I knew I was changing (even if my bank account wasn’t) because the women around me were so stinkin cool, I thought, with their goals + belief in themselves. 👭 I WANTED that for myself!
(Thurs I’m going to share that “bank account side” ...eeeek!!! 😳 I’ve never shared before ... but, it’s the outcome BECAUSE I’ve kept at this!!!!)
Today, I got to be on a corporate call with women I look up to majorly + it just adds more fire 🔥 to my flames!!!
“I happen to believe we are all walking repositories of buried treasure. I believe this is one of the oldest and most generous tricks the universe plays on us human beings, both for its own amusement and for ours: The universe buries strange jewels deep within us all, and then stands back to see if we can find them. The hunt to uncover those jewels—that’s creative living. The courage to go on that hunt in the first place—that’s what separates a mundane existence from a more enchanted one. The often surprising results of that hunt—that’s what I call Big Magic.” 💫🌎
Something my gals and I were talking about the other day was foods you are almost embarrassed to admit you like because most others find it gross... For example, mine is American Cheese. Nikki's is sour cream (?) Julia's is cottage cheese. Derrick's is canned peas..I feel like Beef Stroganoff falls in this category. A dish your grandma used to make, brown, mushy...basically beef smothered in gravy made of sour cream. And I love it so much. So of course, I had to find a paleo friendly version... And this version is better than the original.
1. Melt 3 TBS ghee in a dutch oven...Once hot, add in 1 LB of stew meat. Add 1 tsp each of S, P, garlic powder, onion powder & cayenne (if you don't like spicy, just do 1/2 tsp).. Brown the meat on all sides for 2 mins each, then turn down the heat to medium and let it cook for a few more mins.
2. Add in 1 chopped onion and a few chopped cloves of garlic. Saute that mixture for a few mins. Add 2 tsp of dijon (weird, but good) and 1 tbs of Worcestershire (if you don't have any, you could probably use balsamic, but don't quote me on that). Then add 1-1/2 cups broth (any will work), bring to a boil, then turn down to low, cover and simmer for 45 mins.
3. After 45 mins, check to make sure the beef is tender. If it still tastes chewy, give it a few more mins but you should be good to go after 45. Add in 1/2 cup coconut cream (put a can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight and the cream will go to the top... i did not plan ahead so I just added 1/2 cup coconut milk and it worked out fine). Add in sliced mushrooms. However much you want - I did an 8 oz package of crimini's. Cover again and let the shrooms cook for 10 mins.
4. You are probably thinking at this point... you are a liar, this does not look like stroganoff... that's because it hasn't reduced yet. Don't freak. Crank up the heat to high and let the mixture boil for about 5-10 mins until it thickena up. Stir occassionally.. It took mine about 10 mins to get as thick as i wanted. Patience.
5. Once it's reduced, it's ready to serve. I served mine with the cauliflower gnocchi from TJ's frozen section. Bomb. Recipe from My Heart Beets.
Creamy Paleo Chicken Skillet with Mushrooms and Bacon.
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 slices bacon
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
6 oz. white mushrooms, sliced
1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 14.5-oz. can coconut milk
2 cups fresh kale, stems removed and shredded
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Cook the bacon in a large skillet until crispy. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate & crumble. Set aside. Discard the bacon fat from the pan except for one tablespoon.
2. Add the onion to the pan & sauté for 4-5 minutes until soft. Push the onion to one side & add the chicken to the pan. Lightly brown the chicken, & then stir in the bell peppers & mushrooms. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. Stir in the bacon.
3. Add the white wine vinegar to the pan to deglaze. Add the coconut milk & kale. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the kale is wilted & the sauce is slightly thickened. Season to taste with salt & pepper. Serve warm.
🥊 One last ass kicking workout before I wake up and head to Portland tomorrow for my procedure. I could’ve taken it easy today. But i don’t know how my body will respond tomorrow and how much time I’ll have to take off, I’m assuming 3-5 days at most. Either way, I’m a fighter. And I’ll champ it up and make the best of however it goes. I’m LOVING this kickboxing program right now. And am excited to continue killing it. I actually taught a kickboxing class once before back in the day at our small town local gym back in Georgia. Best workout for slimming and toning your arms for sure, these gloves make a huge difference 💫🥊🌟
Stretching is a very important part of your workout. Sometimes it could be boring and people think they can get away with skipping it. But stretching is an important part of your muscle growth and development. #stretching
Pumpkin Pie Energy Bites.
1 cup pitted Medjool dates
1/2 cup pecans
1/3 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
Pinch of salt
1. Place the dates into a small bowl & cover with water. Let soak for 10 minutes, then drain.
2. Place the pecans into a food processor & pulse until finely ground. Add in the rest of the ingredients, including the soaked dates. Pulse until combined. Adjust the spices to taste. Place into the refrigerator for 30 minutes to chill.
3. Use your hands to form the dough into small balls. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Dinner for Mary: Bison Back Ribs!
These tender meat sticks from @wildideabuffalo were dry rubbed, then cooked #sousvide for 48 hrs in the @anovaculinary precision cooker, and finished in the broiler. The meat literally fell off the bone!!! 🍖
New recipe on the blog! .
Paleo chorizo breakfast hash 🍳(perfect for breakfast OR dinner 😉) .
I used @uswellnessmeats bison chorizo for this recipe and it was delicious! .
Grab the details using the link in my bio!
It arrived!!! The “Swag Jacket” 😂🙌🏼 for our team hitting a MAJOR goal recently!!
Never did I think we’d hit this goal with me 8 1/2 mo preggo (we set it a YEAR ago, and just never gave up on it!!!) I’ve seen LIFE get in the way of SO many things women want to pursue... feeling like they have to choose between family + personal goals...
But, I’m here... unable to zip this little guy up, proving that there doesn’t HAVE to be a choice. You CAN pursue your big ol dreams + be preggo as hell while doing it!!! 🤰🏼👊🏼 #pregnantnotpowerless
One month until I’m surrounded by my TRIBE 🌎✈️. I used to be the girl who constantly gave up on her dreams because it was honestly exhausting to keep chasing it. Want to know what changed? Yes, the habits in my life shifted... but it wasn’t until i surrounded myself with people chasing the same dream that i found the answer to no longer quitting on myself. That’s the hard truth. In order to live a life on purpose and to really level yourself up you have to surround yourself with the people who will support the habits it will take for you to get to all the places you wanna go. I’m not going to say it’s impossible to do alone. But it’s a hell of a lot easier and faster if you seek out those dreamers. The ones who know what it takes to really create your life. A lot of people won’t understand. They think they can be what you need. But they can’t. Sacrifice is the hardest part of any journey. But it is also the most necessary. You have to learn to say no. You have to learn to choose the person inside of you that you haven’t met yet. You have to believe that they exist. And I promise you if you do that over and over and over... eventually you’ll just become. And it will open doors you NEVER DREAMED even existed. You just have to believe it. You can’t just wait around for those kinda of ppl to show up. You have to reach out and make it happen. The universe only works for you if you’re willing to work back. 💕🏔🌿
It’s about feeling good in your OWN skin. It doesn’t always HAVE to be about showing lots of skin. Fitness and wellness is full of images of perfect abs, quads and 🍑s. And looking the ‘picture of health’ is not the same thing as actually being healthy. My daily workouts keep my body feeling strong and healthy. My daily superfoods green smoothies nourish me with anything my daily #wholefoodsdiet may be missing. ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Nothing tastes or looks as good as healthy feels 🤗🤘🏼. So thankful I found home workouts and a healthy, supportive community almost 20!! Years ago. ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
If you’re ready for the Blueprint for Stupid Simple Fitness and Wellness for healthy aging and a healthy life—-apply in my bio 📲🤘🏼💪. I’m in this for life! 🚴🏼♂️💚🥑
Homemade Paleo Fig Newton Cookies.
1 cup dried figs
3 pitted Medjool dates
1/2 cup orange juice
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
2 tsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups almond meal
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1. Add the eggs, coconut oil, syrup, & vanilla extract to a bowl. Use a hand blender to combine. Add the almond meal, baking soda, & salt. Blend again until completely combined. Place in the refrigerator to chill until the figs are ready.
2. Place the figs, dates, & orange juice to a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Simmer for 10-12 minutes until the figs are soft & the juice is slightly reduced. Place the mixture into a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
3. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Remove the dough from the refrigerator & place onto a sheet of parchment paper. Cover with another sheet of parchment paper & roll out the dough into a long thin rectangle, about 1/4-inch thick.
4. Spread the fig filling across the middle of the rectangle. Use the parchment paper to fold the bottom third of the dough over the top of the fig filling. Peel back the paper & repeat with the top third of the dough, forming a long log. Pinch the ends of the log together to seal in the filling. Use a sharp knife to cut the log into the desired amount of pieces. Space the pieces out on the parchment paper & place onto a baking sheet. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. Let cool for 20 minutes before serving. Store in an airtight container.
A HEALTHY HABIT I like to practice is to eat LOCAL & IN SEASON & ORGANIC (or unsprayed)!
It’s blueberry season right now and my mom and I got to go on a fun mother daughter outing- blueberry picking!! This farm was so cute! It had chickens and roosters🐓 running around and it was fun to be in nature and see how blueberries actually grow! .
Not only did we pick some of the biggest blueberries I’ve EVER seen in my life (no joke!) but we got 6 lbs for $14! At the grocery store you typically get half a cup of organic blueberries for a whopping $6! I think this was a much better deal😉👍🏼
A quick note about blueberries. Blueberries have very malleable skin. When sprayed with pesticides, they absorb it all into their delicate flesh. My advice, eat organic or unsprayed berries at all costs! Because of the high pesticide residue found in berry samples...If faced with conventional inorganic berries- if it were me, I wouldn’t eat them🚫