Sword Of Protection WIP.
There are many different techniques to making a mold, and I'm not great at it, but here's how I did it. I put two combinations of techniques together and made a block/brush-on mold. I'm not going to go into every itty bitty detail of this, and outs still a little lengthy, so if you have a question, please ask me, I will answer you if I can.
A big schlab of clay starts this process. I warm it first in really hot water so it rolls out super easy. I lay the piece I'm molding onto the clay, trace it, and remove it to create a void to set my piece to be molded into.
After I've made my seam line, I clean up the edges of the clay that the mold box walls will set against, and add registration keys. On this one, I used the non brush end of a narrow paint brush.
My mold box was made from scrap faux wood blinds. It cuts easy, and with a heat gun, can be curved. I added one piece at a time by first partially pressing it down into the surrounding support clay. I glued each additional piece together with hot glue. Lastly an aerosol mold release was administered.
I degassed my silicone for the block portion of this mold. I made sure silicone first covered every part of the sword, but only filled the box enough to cover the lower narrower portions of the sword. When it was set enough, I added registration beans for the mold jacket. I also degassed my silicone for the brush on portion of this mold. The exposed high points of the sword were what got the brushed on silicone.
Why did I do it this way? The block saved me the time 3 - 5 brush on applications would have taken. And the brush on portion saved me from wasting silicone on the already covered narrower portions of the sword.
I'm not through with the molding process, and although I've shown photos of the mold jacket in this post, I'll describe that process and the molding of the other side in my next post. This one has become longer than I meant for it to.
Sword Of Protection WIP.
I cut and removed most of the top layer of styrene from the stone base. Using a Dremel/rotary tool, with an engraving bit, I shaved away enough of the original polyurethane plastic, and clay to make a cavity for the stone to fit down into.
After masking off the stone, I added a BODY filler (Bondo) to the cavity and smashed the stone down into it. The filler kicks fast, but is still soft initially. Quickly, while in this state, I removed the extra filler that squished out, and then removed the stone.
When the BODY filler was completely cured, I gave it several passes of PUTTY filler, sanding in between coats. Primer paint was added after the final coat of filler.
I've still got touch ups to do, but work on the master has an end in sight.